I decided to do the raw food "diet" for a month. I'm a huge proponent of this kind of cleanse as it doesn't deprive your body of food and nutrients the way other cleanses often do. In fact, it does the opposite; it makes your food more nutritious, since cooking drains away a lot of the natural good stuff in your food. Raw foodism can be a challenge - especially for someone like me who enjoys beer outings with friends. In all honesty, I caved in after three weeks.
When I talk about the raw food diet, people usually say one or all of the following things:
- You must always be hungry
- Are you just eating salads all the time?
- How can you live without cheese?!
My friend, Andrea Parros, co-owner of The Owl House in Rochester, NY, gave me a raw chocolate pudding recipe to try. Since I have difficulties following directions and don't do the measuring thing, I altered it to fit my taste buds. So here's my version. Feel free to adjust it to your liking as well!
Raw Chocolate Pudding
- 1-2 avocados
- 1 banana (optional)
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup coconut water (or coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar (add more if you want it to be sweeter)
- coconut meat to sprinkle on top (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
*Every time I make this, as I'm pouring in the cacao, I can't help but giggle to myself as I think of Portlandia's Cacao bit. Watch it here!