In my mind there is no meal more luxurious than brunch. Food prep is a snap so you can still sleep in, the menu can be almost anything from sweet to savory, light to heavy, and best of all it is a socially acceptable excuse to drink before noon. Chill a bottle of champagne, make sure there is OJ in the fridge and call a few friends cause brunch is about to happen!!
Butter and maple syrup, maybe a little powdered sugar - who doesn't love that? But if you'd really like to impress your guests, try one of these gourmet toppings - or all three.
2 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Nonstick cooking spray or 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1) Whisk together the eggs and buttermilk in a medium sized bowl.
2) Stir in the melted butter.
3) In a separate bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
4) Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined — don't worry if there are a few lumps.
5) Lightly grease a large sauté pan or griddle with the nonstick spray or butter
6) When the pan is hot enough that a drop of water will bead and pop, spoon out 3 Tablespoons of batter per pancake. Cook the pancakes until the tops look dull and a few of the bubbles pop, about 3 minutes. Turn the pancakes over and cook for another minute.