|image via TheSmirkingCat.blogspot|
Death by Chocolate (not by skydiving!)
For the Cake:
8 oz. dark chocolate, chopped into small peices
4 oz. butter
2/3 cup milk
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, separated
2/3 cup sour cream
2 cup self rising flour
1 tsp. baking powder
4 Tbsp raspberry jam
For the Filling:
4 Tbsp brandy
14 oz dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1 cup butter
For the Ganache:
1 cup whipped cream
8 oz. semi sweet chocolate
To make the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease a 9 inch springform pan.
3. Warm chocolate, butter and milk in a sauce pan and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and add brown sugar and vanilla. Stir until incorporated and allow to cool.
4. Beat egg yolks and sour cream until smooth and light yellow, then beat in the chocolate mixture.
5. Sift dry ingredients and fold into egg and chocolate mixture.
6. Whip egg whites to stiff peaks and gently fold into the batter.
7. Bake in prepared pan for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and it is firm to the touch.
8. Cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and finish cooling.
9. Gently warm the raspberry jam with 1 Tbsp of brandy.
9. Slice cake into 3 even layers and brush each layer with the jam and brandy mixture.
To make the filling:
10. Heat the remaining 3 Tbsp. brandy with the dark chocolate and butter, and stir until smooth.
11. Let cool to thicken.
12. When mixture is thickened, spread of the first two layers of the cake and assemble the three layers together.
To make the ganache:
13. Simply heat whipping cream until just before it boils and add in chocolate, then whisk until chocolate is melted.
14. Decorate outside of cake with chocolate ganache and any other decorations you desire such as chocolate work, coco powder, flowers, or fresh fruit.